Military Records

Military discharge papers (DD 214) may be filed in the Washington County Recorder’s office.  An original or certified copy is needed for filing purposes.  The DD 214 must be recorded before the military exemption can be applied toward property tax.                                                            

There is no charge to record or obtain a certified copy or photocopy of a military record.  Military records are now closed pursuant to the Code of Iowa (331.606A).  Consequently, only the veteran, immediate family member or authorized agent is entitled to obtain a copy of a military discharge.

If you wish to request a copy of a military discharge, please complete and return the application.  This may be done in person or through the mail.  Please send a photo copy of your driver’s license if mailing.  Entitlement has to be proven before a copy can be issued. 

                               Military Record Application Form


Additional Resources:

Washington County Veterans Service Officer – Sue Rich



If enlisted from the State of Iowa:

Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs

7105 NW 70th Avenue

Camp Dodge, Bldg 3465

Johnston IA  50131-1824

Phone: 515-252-4698 or 800-838-4692

FAX: 515-727-3713

E-mail:  Mari.Mielkd@idva.stats.ia


National Personnel Records Center

1 Archives Drive

St Louis MO  63138

Phone:  314-801-0800

FAX: 314-801-9195